Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Our First Broken Bone

Well, we didn't have enough going on at our house, so we've added a broken arm! Poor Emalyn fell off of the changing table last night and her arm is broken! I guess that's what you get when you have two tired parents...we simply let our guard down and she has to pay the price.

I was feeding Myla Grant in the rocking chair, Adair was in her towel on the bed, and Hank walked away for two seconds to get Emalyn's pajamas (as we, admittedly, do every night). I watched her playing with the diapers, lotions, etc. in the basket and the next thing I know she is leaning on the wipe box and slipping off the table. It all happened so fast, but yet I saw it in slow motion. She slipped, rolled over, and flipped off onto the floor. She cried and whimpered for a while. We watched her to make sure she didn't have a concussion. She kept pointing to her arm, but would let us touch it and would use it, so I rocked her to sleep and put her to bed. When she tried to roll over during the night, she cried and when I checked on her, she showed me her arm again.

This morning she was much more subdued than usual and was treating her right arm carefully, so I called our pediatrician and, after talking to the nurse, decided to take her in for an x-ray. As the day went on she became much more herself and didn't seem bothered by it at all, so I felt a little silly taking her to the doctor. I went ahead anyway, mostly because we don't really know what her pain threshold is having spent almost the first two years of her life with little response to her cries and needs. I knew I would hate to find out a week from now that it was broken and know I hadn't done anything about it.

At the doctor's office, Dr. Crumb felt around on her arm, found a spot that made her jump, x-rayed it and came back with the verdict...it's broken! She referred us to Dr. Sorrell, an orthopedic doctor, who saw her right way.  He confirmed that it is broken and said he was amazed that she was acting so happy and normal. Apparently, and understandably, her pain threshold is higher than the average 22 month old.  Thankfully, it's not a terrible break.  It's a green stick break just above her wrist that should heal fully in two short weeks. After they casted it, they sent us on our merry way.  From here, we'll make the most of her cute pink cast and try not to let her injure herself or her sisters with her new "weapon".


Sad face leaving the doctor's office

Tired after a long day

[Side note: You probably noticed that I titled this post "Our First Broken Bone" and you may think that is a bit pessimistic, but with Hank's history and Emalyn's adventurous spirit, I seriously doubt this will be our last broken bone at the Powers' house.]


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. aw poor emalyn and poor mama and daddy. i know that broke your heart. but seriously that could have happened to any of us. its just funny that a family with 3 girls gets the broken arm. hope she sleeps well and it heals up fine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww poor baby, I can't imagine! Hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete