Friday, July 13, 2012

Transformation Challenge

Over a year ago, Hank and I joined Iron Tribe Fitness (ITF).  We both quickly became addicted to the workouts, community and results.  Iron Tribe is not just another crossfit gym, which is one of the things we love most about it.  It is truly a community of athletes.  Everyone routes for each other, encourages one another and celebrates successes together.  Each workout is scalable, so it is achievable for the "not an athlete at all" athlete...like yours truly...and challenging for the lifelong athlete. 

ITF teaches and encourages the Paleo diet as a healthy lifestyle.  Prior to my pregnancy with Myla Grant, we ate about 75% Paleo.  Starting Monday, we will embark on a 40 day transformation challenge with our fellow athletes.  The challenge is to eat strict Paleo, workout regularly and "transform" into a better version of yourself.  In addition to weight loss and feeling better, people eating a Paleo diet have seen improvement or "cure" of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, asthma, allergies, skin conditions, PCOS, infertility, migraines, depression, bipolar disorder, heartburn, GERD, joint pain, ADD, thyroid dysfunction, Lyme disease, fibromyalgia, leaky gut syndrome, Crohn’s, IBS, Celiac, diverticulitis, and ulcerative colitis. 

One thing I hope to accomplish over the next six weeks is to teach by body (and my brain) that food is for nourishment, and while it feels good to indulge sometimes, eating should not always be emotional.  I hope to gain a better awareness of the foods that we eat and how they help/hurt our bodies, energy level, strength, and body weight.

If you are interested in learning more about ITF or the Paleo diet, check out the following resources or feel free to ask.

http://www.irontribefitness.com/
http://www.irontribe101.com/
http://whole9life.com/start/
http://www.robbwolf.com/

The Paleo Solution, Robb Wolf

I share all of this because I believe in it.  I hope that at the end of this challenge you will see living proof of the benefits of a Paleo diet and crossfit in a happier, healthier, more fit Powers family.  Blogging through the next 40 days is a means of holding myself accountable to my goals and perhaps help someone else in the process.  If you dine with me or see me around between July 16 and August 24, I hope you will hold me accountable, too. 

Here are my goals for the next six weeks:

1)  Workout five days each week
2)  Eat a strict Paleo diet and don't skip meals for convenience
3)  Loose eleven+ pounds
4)  Blog weekly with progress, menus and recipes
5)  Teach our girls (especially Adair) more about healthy eating and the difference between snacks and treats

I hope that by gaining more knowledge about the food that we eat and eating a whole foods diet, our girls will grow up making good food choices and a healthy lifestyle will become second nature to them.  We want to set the example of a healthy, active lifestyle that they can follow.  This journey is as much about them as it is about us.  As in everything, we want to do what is best for our children and I strongly believe that growing up in a family where Mommy and Daddy are active, the refrigerator is stocked with healthy foods and dinner doesn't always come from a box or a restaurant can set the tone for lifelong success.  Hank and I are setting out to retrain our bodies and our minds so that our girls won't have to retrain theirs someday.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! You can do it! I have been doing a similar thing and it is not easy but so rewarding. Good luck and I would love to learn some healthy new recipes:)

    ReplyDelete