Saturday, October 2, 2010

Back to Our Roots

For those of you who don't know, I grew up in a small town South of Birmingham called Centreville. My parents both grew up there, too. Today Hank, Adair and I went to Centreville to the Mill Pond (my grandparents' homestead) for the Lightsey family reunion. We had a great time gathering with my dad's extended family and visiting with everyone.

Adair loved looking at the water, feeding the duck, watching for turtles and fish, and seeing a snake and tiny frog, but when I asked her what her favorite part of the day was, she answered, "The music, Mommy.". There was a pickin' band (small town in the country, remember?) and Adair clapped, danced and sang with them until her little heart was content. She was truly the life the party. Any of you who are around her much know that she isn't really shy, but I was shocked when she took the microphone and sang "Jesus Loves Me" with them in front of at least 30 people who were standing around. Her next request was the "ABC's". I know you won't be surprised that they couldn't "pick" that, but they sang it with her (without their instruments) anyway. She was swaying and tapping her foot, just like a little musician. Who knows? Perhaps she is a prodigy in the making. I don't really wish for that, but I do want her to love music and play an instrument. I would say, we are on the right track.

It was truly a great day and I managed to snap a few pictures of her debut. You can see the progression of slight shyness to right in the middle of the action.

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment